Monday, July 6, 2009

Graduation, summer plans, ect.

Hey Everyone,
I'm so sorry I haven't updated my blog since January but I'll try to update you as much as I can as to what has happened since my last update. I've been on Weno since July 3 for a meeting I attended yesterday. It was a meeting to discuss issues PCVs have with PC policy amongst other things. One representative in the M74 and M75 groups (my group) from each of FSM's 4 states and Palau came to Weno for the meeting. I represented the Chuuk M75s at the meeting and I brought up every issue me and my fellow M75s in Chuuk wanted me to bring up. I just hope most of our concerns get recognized by the PC Micro staff and they make the changes we requested. I was glad to see the M75s from the other islands in the FSM and Palau.
My school's graduation was on June 26. My PCV friend John came and our PC Program Assistant Imauo came was well. I was very proud of my students, especially the ones who delivered speeches including the one I wrote. I did a little activity called B1 that the students learned from a movie. It involves clapping and chanting. Both the audience and the students loved it.
This summer I will teach a summer school class to the 7th graders starting tomorrow (I haven't made the lesson plans yet). They will be learning math and English only since those are the subjects they struggle the most in. I'll be working with another teacher during the English class and will do fun reading, writing and speaking activities, hopefully outside if I can. The class runs only two weeks and I've missed 2 days so far, since I've been on Weno. I'm leaving soon to go back to Fefan, my island, so I can prepare for tomorrow. Other summer plans I have involve possibly teaching an English class to adluts and drop out students and asssiting my 7th graders with building book cabinets for all the books I've gotten from some of you (thanks so much). I also would like to go scuba diving in the Chuuk Lagoon and make a trip out to the Mortlocks (outer islands) with another lagoon PCV to visit Alex, who serves on the island of Satawan.
I am doing well and staying healthy. I feel like I am integrating more and more into my community with each passing day. I enjoy walking around my community and talking to people. They like to joke around with me but also have serious conversations with me as well. I feel that people in my community are comfortable with me and I am comfortable with them.
Sorry to cut this short but I've got to make my way to the dock to meet my "uncle" so I can go back with him to Fefen. I promise to write another post real soon since I've be comming into Weno more often now that it's summer.

Take care,
Ben

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Ben,

......a great blog entry! It was so good to read about all your adventures and accomplishments in Fefen. Your words exude confidence, wisdom and happiness. Ben, since our last phone conversation, I did some research and discovered a corporation named Kyocera that donates solar power generating systems including solar printers to primary schools in Tanzania. Try to google free solar printers and see what comes up. I'll be sure to include this article in my next package to you. Also Ben, if you know of anyone who wants to donate a solar printer to your efforts in Fefen, you can let them know I will be glad to hand deliver it to you when I visit you. Then, you wouldn't have to keep taking a boat to Weno every time you had to print something. Wouldn't that be great! I'll keep my fingers crossed and continue my search for you. I'm so thrilled things are going well for you Ben. Please extend my warmest regards and gratitude to your host family and friends for me. I'll write you an e-mail soon.

Much, much love,
Mom

MelissaKopec said...

Ben - so good to read your update from so far away. I can almost hear you as I read your words. You have a great attitude; those people are blessed to have you there teaching them. Press on! Enjoy every moment. :)

Melissa (old neighbor)
p.s. We moved to Lutherville but I'm hoping to stay in touch with your mom. Also - the weenie dog you helped us with, Alex, passed away in early May. :( She was 18 1/2 years old. She had a good life. Thought you might like to know since you knew her. :)