Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fundraising for Water Project

Happy 4th of July everyone! I'll be missing the fireworks and good food here and light a firework and eat a burger for me. I hope you all enjoy it.

I know it's been a while for my last post and for that I apologize. In my last entry I briefly mentioned about a water project. Since then, it's been posted on Peace Corps website (www.peacecorps.gov/contribute) and folks in the U.S. has raised over half of the amount I requested.

For those of you who don't know, I am raising money for a water tank that will serve 75 plus people in my community. This number included 6 families who go to other peoples' houses to take a shower and wash their clothes because they don't have water tanks or running water of their own. The water catchment system I am raising money for will provide running water to these folks. PVC pipes will allow water to flow from the water tank to each family's home. They will no long have to leave their home to do daily tasks such as washing clothes. This project will benefit the out-of-school youth in my community by allowing them to help build the tank and learn valuable skills from more experienced workers. Hopefully this project will help them find paid work in the future.

Thank you to those of you who already donated to my project. It is amazing individuals have donated more than $4,000 a month and a half. Your contribution will make a difference in my host community long after I'm gone. Community members will remember you all for your kindness and generosity. You all are allowing me to do this project through your financial gifts. I am just facilitating it. Please keep on spreading the word to other people. I have 4 and a half more months left of Peace Corps service so I would like to raise the rest of the money as soon as possible. With your help, I know this will be possible.

If you have not donated yet but would like to, please visit Peace Corps website at www.peacecorps.gov/contribute and type my last name (Gruver) in the space provided on the main page and click search. That will bring you to my project, "Improved Community Access to Water." Click on the title so you can read the project summary and to contribute. I would suggest that you all donate online since that will be the quickest way to raise the money. However, if you feel uncomfortable with that, you can donate by mail. Please fill out this form and mail it to the Peace Corps office. Thank you in advance for your tax deductible donation. My community and I really appreciate it. Please email me at bbgruver@gmail.com to inform me that you donated.

I also want to thank those of you who donated books to my school. This summer my principal and I have been busy finishing building the book cabinets before the school year starts. Other than that I have been working on my garden. I am growing cucumbers and eggplant. I recently made a ceiling out of sticks for the cucumbers they can lay on. I am also planning on doing a map project which involves painting a map in each classroom at the school where I teach. I want to paint maps of Chuuk, FSM and the pacific since those are areas they students learn about.

Early tomorrow morning I am going to the island nation of Palau for a COS (Close of Service) conference which is a graduation of sorts for me and the other PCVs who arrived in Micronesia in 2008. Our group is going back to the States in November. On my way back from Palau I will stop by Yap State in FSM for a couple days. I will return to Chuuk July 16.

I'll sign off for now until I get back from Palau. I hope you all are doing well. Take care.

No comments: