Saturday, September 13, 2008

Arrival in Pohnpei

Kasaleliah!

After being on a plane for 15-20 hours, I arrived in Kolonia, Pohnpei, Micronesia with the rest of the PCTs yesterday at 2:30 Pacific time. We were greeted by the language coordinator and the programming and training officer. When I stepped off the plane, it wasn't as hot as I thought it was going to be but it was still very warm. Children and adults stared at us and were only a few yards from the plane. We put our stuff in a PC truck and went to the hotel on a bus. Current Peace Corps Volunteers and PC stuff greeted us at the hotel. We were warmed greeted with local food and coconut milk in the coconut shell. Between our arrival and dinner, we had interviews. Yesterday I had an interview with the training officer which has pretty laidback. She asked me about myself, and whether I would mind being stationed on an outer island. I said I would be us to going to an outer island instead of a main island because I thing it'll be more rewarding. Today is Sunday here and I am writing in a building next to the hotel. Early this morning I had a medical interview where I got three shots and gave the medical officer my medical questionaire. Afterwards I went to a Wal Mart knockoff named "Wall (with 2 Ls) Mart" where I got some envelopes and some snacks. This afternoon I have a host family session with the training coordinator. I start training tomorrow and will be moved in with a host family. I'm a little nervous but I positive that it will go well. I will be staying with them in a rural community in Pohnpei for three weeks before I will be moved to another host family on the main island state for six weeks. During part 2 of training, I will be moved to the main island of my assigned island state. I will be staying for another host family there and will have language and cultural training. After training, I will be most likely be placed on an outer island in my assignment state, whether it be Kosrae, Yap, Pohnpei or Chuuck. The food is great here. Last night we had sashimi, chicken, coleslaw, tarro, rice, spagehtti and other good stuff. It is very beautiful here. There are many palm and banna trees and the water is bluish gree. Mountains surround the ocean and the buildings and coated with beautiful bright colors. I'm enjoying my time here so far. Well, that's it for now. This will be my last post for a while. Please mail my your addresses so I can write you letters.
-Ben

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Test

Unknown said...

Dear Ben,

It's thrilling to read that you're having such a great experience. Micronesia sounds so pristine, one can only imagine. Thanks for starting to teach us some Micronesian words. They'll come in handy when we visit. ...suppose it's time for me to get certified in scuba diving? Please know that you are thought of, asked about and held in love every day!

Much, much love,
Mom

Clare said...

Hey, Ben,
Sounds like a fantasy trip. I'm so happy for your adventure. Janine always said that all the Americorps people were so nice and I'm sure it will be the same for the Peace Corps folks. They all have good hearts -- including you! Hope all your dreams for this experience come true. Keep the faith, Baby!
Love, Aunt Clare

Christina Chambreau said...

I love coconut milk in the coconut shell. So glad to be checking this blog and sharinig with your wonderful experiences in a part of the world I still want to visit.
Learn as much as you can from how they live and think, especially from the elders.
Hugs and stay happy - Christina

Dad said...

Beno-- After the application, interviews, poking, proding, reading and readying you are finally in country!! Your blogs paint a great picture of your odyssey (ah, interesting) and Olivia loves reading them. Three cheers for you my son and three cheers for the smart people who knew that you'd make a difference in the world. Your pioneering spirit, hard work and taking laid back to a whole new level will do you and those you work with well.
Much love, Dad
PS Had any dog yet?